Exam Assessment / Certification Design and Validation
Validity begins with good assessment design:
Assessment is the process of gathering information through examinee responses to an assessment task, assigning numbers to summarize the responses, and interpreting the results in order to make inferences about student knowledge or performance. At each stage of the assessment process important design decisions must be made to ensure the highest degree of validity and defensibility of the inferences that are made, particularly for high-stakes assessments (such as those that determine whether an examinee will be certified to practice a profession, pass or fail a course, or be admitted to a particular educational program). All assessments should begin with thorough attention to design to support the desired inferences.
Important assessment considerations include:
Pre-assessment design validity considerations:
- What is the purpose of the assessment? What inferences are intended?
- What type of assessment is most appropriate (ie. Written examination or task performance)?
- Are the examination questions properly written and of the correct type (i.e. multiple choice or constructed response questions)?
- Are the examination questions fair for all examinees?
- Will the assessment provide reliable (reproducible) results?
- Have the learning objectives to be assessed been clearly defined?
- Is the curriculum to be assessed aligned to the learning objectives?
- Are the learning objectives appropriately represented in the assessment according to their importance in the course?
- How should results be reported?
Post-assessment validity and quality control considerations:
- Statistical analysis of examination questions (item analysis)
- Statistical analysis (reliability and sources of measurement error)
- Standard-Setting process
- On-going review through repeated assessment cycles
Verita’s Experts are here to assist:
Verita’s educational measurement professionals have experience designing and validating assessments locally and internationally. We apply best practice in measurement with a strong theoretical foundation grounded in current educational research. From classroom assessment of individual students, to high-stakes exams at the program level, to international assessments that guide educational policy, we understand what is required to support valid and defensible assessment inferences.
Academic Program and Course Evaluations
We have extensive expertise in business and academic program and course evaluations, utilizing both pre-post and retrospective designs. Let us help you to find ways to improve your courses, seminars, training sessions, and client satisfaction.